Elliott is in a chess tournament right now. The kids are in a quiet cafeteria, and the parents have to hang out in the cold gym. I’m glad he is trying something new, and this is giving me time to write things that have been on my to-do list for ages… one of which is a running list of funny things from Conor that I wanted to capture for the blog.
- Conor loves to drink lemonade. In fact, he asked for it with breakfast this morning (I said no – enough sugar in the cinnamon buns.) When I ask him, “What color are your eyes?”, he says “Blue.” When I ask him, “What color are my eyes?”, he says “Lemonade.”
- This July, we took a long road trip from Chicago to Longmeadow and stopped at Niagara Falls. A couple weeks after we got back, Conor asked: “When can we go back to Canada?” I said probably not for a long time… what did you like there. He responded, “The elevator.” Not the Falls, but the clear glass elevator of the tall hotel. He has asked many times since then to go back.
- Butter noodles. On that trip, we also went to a restaurant with butter noodles. He asked if we could go back to the restaurant with butter noodles. Since its 15 hours from our house, I explained that the restaurant is far away, but that I could make him butter noodles. He then explained that the food wasn’t the attraction, but rather that he liked the play area – it as an outdoor restaurant with large plastic play toys (slides, gyms, etc).
- Conor loves a good tease. His teasing includes things like calling me “silly turkey” and “boss” (which is what an employee of Mayor Humdinger calls the Mayor) and saying “you’re not nice to this family” to which I’m supposed to respond, “well, you have stinky feet”. He also found it hilarious when his pinky toe kinda got stuck in one part of his sock and it looked like a glove… and then repeated it 5 times just to have a good laugh.
- Conor now requests songs on Alexa like “Let it go”. He first started exploring this about six months ago with a request for “Stop n paddle.” I had to repeat it a number of times to realize that “stop n paddle” is actually Natural by Imagine Dragons. It’s impossible for someone outside our family to hear how stop n paddle could be natural, but it just can be.
- When you gotta go… A lot of the kids’ sports events are at Ron Beese Park – Conor has watched a number of Elliott’s football games there, and then Conor had soccer there. (He was pretty much a terrible participant.) Nearly every time there, he decides he has to go to the bathroom… which either means peeing at the edge of the woods by the football side OR peeing in the “PORKAPOTTY”. Both instances are about way less than his bladder control… and much more to do with the fun of peeing in a different place.