Conor was born on January 7th (well past his Christmas due date, well past the 4 days late that Natalie was, well past the tax deduction due date of Dec 31, well past New Year’s Day and the 7 days late that Elliott was, past my great grandmother’s birthday of January 2nd – which was the date I was mentally prepared to go until). And, thankfully, one day before Elvis’s birthday of Jan 8th, which Jordan was rooting for. So, besides being a different birthstone than in December, what happened on January 7th in history?
- Feast day of André Bessette, C.S.C. (9 August 1845 – 6 January 1937), more commonly known as Brother André (French: Frère André), and since his canonization as Saint André of Montreal, was a lay brother of the Congregation of Holy Cross and a significant figure of the Roman Catholic Church among French-Canadians, credited with thousands of reported miraculous oil healings associated with his pious devotion to Saint Joseph.
- Christmas in Russia and the Ukraine (so I guess he is a Christmas baby!)
- 1610 – Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four largest moons of Jupiter: Ganymede, Callisto, Io and Europa
- Birthday of Pope Gregory XIII in 1502, best known for commissioning and being the namesake for the Gregorian calendar, which remains the internationally accepted civil calendar to this day
- Birthday of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the US in 1800, who came into the presidency after the death of his predecessor. He is best known for working to pass the Compromise of 1850, a bargain that led to a brief truce in the battle over slavery
- Birthday of St. Bernadette of Lourdes in 1844, a French nun. She saw many visions at the grotto as a young girl and went on to serve people who were ill, despite having many ailments herself
- Birthday of Nicholas Cage, an American actor
- 1927 – Commercial transatlantic telephone service was inaugurated between New York and London.
- 1999 – President Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial began in the Senate.
It’s amazing to think about what lies ahead for Conor. There’s anything he can become!